Learn to Play Hockey Program
Starting January 9, 2021 - Every Saturday at 11am, Graf Rink in Newburyport
The AYHL Learn to Play Hockey curriculum is designed to teach the fundamentals of hockey. Skaters will learn how to be more proficient and agile on the ice without support.
Proper skating techniques for the game of hockey are the primary focus of the levels. All elements will be taught without a puck, so be patient!
Skaters will learn the basic hockey stance, stride, knee bend, use of edges and other necessary fundamentals to be successful in hockey practices and game situations.
- Falling and recovery to a balanced standing position
- Proper basic hockey stance (forward and backward)
- March forward across the ice, 8-10 steps
- Two-foot glides and dips from forward marching across the ice
- Forward swizzles/double c-cuts
- T-push to a two-foot glide (hold 2-4 seconds) on a straight line, alternating feet
- Snowplow stop, stationary
• Hockey skates
• HECC Approved Hockey Helmet