Learn to Play Hockey Program - more information coming soon.
If you are interested in participating in the 2019/2020 season, email
to get your name on the waiting list.
The AYHL Learn to Play Hockey curriculum is designed to teach the fundamentals of hockey. Skaters will learn how to be more proficient and agile on the ice without support.
Proper skating techniques for the game of hockey are the primary focus of the levels. All elements will be taught without a puck, so be patient!
Skaters will learn the basic hockey stance, stride, knee bend, use of edges and other necessary fundamentals to be successful in hockey practices and game situations.
- Falling and recovery to a balanced standing position
- Proper basic hockey stance (forward and backward)
- March forward across the ice, 8-10 steps
- Two-foot glides and dips from forward marching across the ice
- Forward swizzles/double c-cuts
- T-push to a two-foot glide (hold 2-4 seconds) on a straight line, alternating feet
- Snowplow stop, stationary
• Hockey skates
• HECC Approved Hockey Helmet